cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brettmclaugh...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.0?
Date Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:18:32 GMT

Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> >
> > Why don't you quickly write a wrapper that uses the SAX 2.0
> > ParserAdapater?  That makes a SAX 1.0 (or 2.0 alpha, for that matter)
> > parser give you all the callbacks (including namespace support) that SAX
> > 2.0 does.  Wouldn't that be a work around?
>
> Nahhh... Too much work... There are more important things to do than
> that at this point... I don't care about the transport, as long as it's
> event driven (and seeing from the number of
> Producers/Filters/Serializers I have..)
>
> > I know Andy Clark is working now on getting SAX 2.0 in, but until then....
>
> Yep... I just hope he comes out w/ something soon...

Shouldn't be long.  I know David Brownell (on XML-dev) managed to get
his parsers converted last week (roughly 1 week after SAX 2.0 went
beta).  The only concern I have is that in talking with Andy, he said he
was going to have teh same class (org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser)
implement both the SAX 1.0 Parser interface and the SAX 2.0 XMLReader
interface.  This, IMHO, is bad and going to be very troublesome, and
will probably add time to get things going.  SAX 2.0 is (admittedly) not
backwards compatible, so I'm not sure why the effort to keep one
class...

> > I have been using the ParserAdapater class and it works very well.
>
> The thing is that I could care less of the Parser... It's all the
> transport mechanism between components that is event driven... :)

right, it just makes it easy to see what kind of response you get in
those callbacks.  Let me know if you need any specific information about
what you would get on a callback.  I can always run something through my
setup at home (which wraps Xerces into a SAX 2.0 parser) and let you
know exactly what you will be getting as input.

-Brett