cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Assaf Arkin <ar...@exoffice.com>
Subject Re: XSLT API Proposal
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2000 17:46:17 GMT
> Yes, absolutely.  I realized I hadn't addressed xsl:output just after I
> sent the note.  But, I'm not quite sure what to do about it.  We need a
> class like Assaf Arkin's OutputFormat class (see the Xerces Serialize
> classes), but I don't want to make a class that's redundent to his, but the
> interfaces obviously shouldn't be dependent on Xerces either.  Assaf, do
> you have any ideas on this?

In my opinion the whole serializer API should be decoupled from Xerces.
In fact, today it's not dependent on Xerces and you can use it
standalone, we just included it in Xerces for convenience to Xerces
users. It could also be distributed separately of Xerces.

I've talked to James Duncan Davidson about adding the serializer API to
the next release of the Java XML API. Xalan can depend on that API, just
like it depends on SAX and DOM, regardless of which implementation is in
use.

arkin