cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From John Morrison <john.morri...@experian.com>
Subject XSP & dynamic XML producers (was: SQLProcessor & SQL TagLib -Reply)
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:50:31 GMT

>>On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, John Morrison wrote:
>>
>>> Donald - you mention that the SQLProcessor won't be around much
>>> longer and will be replaced by something called XSP SQL TagLib(?).
>>At
>>> the moment I can see the following translation being something I do
>at
>>> work with great frequency...
>>>
>>> html form->XSP          (to fill in query variables)
>> XSP->SQLProcessor (to do the query)
>> SQLProcess->XSLT  (to allow me to add more XSP to format dates
>etc)
>> XSLT->XSP                (format dates etc)
>> XSP->XSL (html)        (for display.)
>>
>> The question is, XSP dynamically generates a servlet/processor
>> whatever you want to call it, compiles it and the result is executed.
>How
>> does the above (with 2 dynamically generated sections) stand - does
>the
>> second second get regenerated every time and will this XSP SQL
>TagLib
>> allow me to 'fold' the two XSP processing sections into one?
>>
>> Shame about the SQLProcessor, thought it was an excellent idea but I
>> can see the above becoming more prevelant in my work.
>
>As far as I can tell, yes, your second XSP page (that's dynamically
>generated by XSLT) will be recompiled every time. Perhaps Ricardo can
>speak to the contrary? Anyway, hmm, that's a significant restriction,
>and
>should be addressed, but I can't see how you'd avoid the problem if the
>SQL library was called as a processor rather than as a taglib. The code
>will be pretty much the same, it's just the, uh, user API that will change
>(for the better, one would hope).
>
>Maybe I'm missing something?
>
>- donald

Huh, I don't think so.  Even worse - if there are two hits attempted
simultaniously with different queries (I'm not sure it matters, but worst
case...) won't one fail because it won't be able to delete the file as the
first will have a lock (I assume) on the java & class files.

Could it be true that XSP can't be used by any other dynamic content
generating producer?  If you think about it - each time the dynamic XML is
produced (whether it is different or not) the XSP is going to need to be
re-compiled with all the possible synchronisation problems that entails.

Huh, food for thought.

John.