cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Williams <mi...@o3.co.uk>
Subject XSP (minus Cocoon plus SAX) success story
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 11:13:40 GMT
Hiya ... I'm new to the list, though I've been following Cocoon
developments on and off for the last year.

For the past month or so, I've been developing an processor to produce
web-pages from XML templates.  My servlets handle requests, construct a Map
full of data to be merged into the output, and use templates to produce a
result-page.  The template resolver walks a DOM tree, and use FESI
ECMAScript to resolve merge-data expressions.  The output is a stream of
SAX events.

Then last week, I saw the XSP stuff in Cocoon-1.6, and the penny
dropped. Way cool!  I've now written an XSL stylesheet that tranforms an
XSP page into a Java template; again, input is a Map of merge-data, and
output is SAX.

  Build-time:
    {XSP} -> XSL(xsp) -> {template source} -> compile -> {template class}

  Run-time:
    {data Map} -> template -> {SAX} -> formatter -> {HTML}

There's no Cocoon code here: our pages are highly dynamic, so caching them
is not really an option.  We don't do any XSL transformation of the output
either ... it's all done before the XSP step, so that all the layout ends
up coded in Java as SAX events-calls.

Anyway, the result is blinding fast: about 10 times the performance of my
original template interpreter!  Many, many thanks to Stefano, for
conceiving XSP, and Ricardo, for demonstrating how to implement it.  I'd
love to contribute my code to Cocoon, if it's at all useful ... just let me
know where to send it.

--
cheers,
Mike Williams