cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From brian moseley ...@maz.org>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:47:33 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Donald Ball wrote:

> Thought - why not just have the command line tool
> construct and fire off an HTTP request? That way you're
> not forcing your mail server and your cocoon server to
> coexist. Plus you keep all of the benefits of servlets
> (namely persistency).

there is no http server nor cocoon server. there is simply a
filesystem with a cvs sandbox. the only network interaction
with this box is mail delivery and cvs client access to the
repository.

this is the problem - the group in general is so focused on
http-based publishing that it isn't seeing that only small
parts of cocoon are http-specific. there is a much wider
world out there that can benefit from the sophistication
that cocoon layers on top of simple xsl transforms.

> In general, you should be able to map most any service
> request to an HTTP request. It may not necessarily be
> the best design pattern - I don't honestly know, but
> it's at least worth considering.

in some situations this is a great idea. in some situations
its overly complex.