cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Advice on configuration
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 05:15:54 GMT
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> you know Cocoon is a pretty complex software: it works on top of many
> other software and it can be difficult to install, but I wanted to
> simplify the installation burden very much. This is why I created the
> resource:// URL handler.
>
> Now, since URLHandlers are not that good to work with in a servlet
> environment, I decided to remove the use of special URL protocols inside
> Cocoon, at least, until we have a good underlying API for java.net that
> supports registering (see my previous mail).
>
> Now, the need for resource:// comes up when we deal with XSP library
> logicsheets. If you look at the configurations you find:
>
> # Set the libraries associated with the given namespace.
> # Use the syntax:
> #   processor.xsp.library.<namespace-tag>.<language> = URL to file
> # where "URL to file" is usually starting with file:/// if you locate
> # your custom library in your file system.
> processor.xsp.library.context.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/context.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.cookie.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/cookie.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.global.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/global.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.request.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/request.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.response.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/response.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.session.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/session.xsl
> processor.xsp.library.util.java =
> resource://org/apache/cocoon/processor/xsp/library/java/util.xsl
>
> which work right out of the box, but allow you to change them if you
> need to.
>
> My problem is: how do we make these properties work out of the box
> (read: you don't need to touch them), but also they are located inside
> the cocoon.jar file (so you don't mess with them)?
>
> I'm stuck and I don't know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

I'm afraid I really don't understand what the problem is. I will say,
though, that I dislike you choosing which namespace prefix the
http://www.apache.org/XSP/1999/Cookie namespace is going to be mapped to
ahead of time. Why don't you key using the full namespace instead of the
preferred prefix? That's half the point of namespaces, ennit?

- donald

>  Come to the first official Apache Software Foundation Conference!

I'm working on it. Dunno if my company will spring for it or not though. :(