cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Cache
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:58:47 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > Still leaves the problem of knowing if browser type were relevant, for
> > instance, and some other outstanding issues maybe. We could address them
> > in the sitemap probably.
> >
> > I think we're ready to take this step here, at least for XSP pages.
> > Non-XSP pages can be assumed to be either keyed off of just the path part
> > of the URL (for pages that just use XSLT) or should not be cached (for
> > pages that use special processors).
>
> > - donald
> What about browser settings like locales and caching. I write all my webapps
> using ResourceBundles that dynamically grab the label strings for my pages.
> Can a cache handle that?  Otherwise if a page is cached because a visitor
> queried my site with their browser language setting to "en_US" and then the
> same query is run with a language setting of "fr_FR", I want to show the
> same data but with French labels replaced for english ones.

Well, we've already had the 'how do i set foreign language preference'
fight here already once. It never was resolved to my satisfaction; the
consensus seemed to be building towards 'make a special section in the
sitemap that let you choose whether you look in the browser's HTTP header
for accept-langauges headers or whatever, or look for a special named
cookie, or a special named request variable, or something else. That
sounded workable to me, if you could come up with a clever syntax for it,
but no one ever really tried since we were really hazy on the whole
sitemap idea back then. perhaps we need to delegate responsibility? :)

Anyway, assuming that you decided to look in the accept-langauges header,
you'd just add that data to the key generation routine for the URI's which
allowed run-time language negotiation.

- donald