cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:12:51 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, brian moseley wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Donald Ball wrote:
>
> > Thought - why not just have the command line tool
> > construct and fire off an HTTP request? That way you're
> > not forcing your mail server and your cocoon server to
> > coexist. Plus you keep all of the benefits of servlets
> > (namely persistency).
>
> there is no http server nor cocoon server. there is simply a
> filesystem with a cvs sandbox. the only network interaction
> with this box is mail delivery and cvs client access to the
> repository.

so just have an http/servlet server running locally, bound to 127.0.0.1,
firewalled from everything else, that responds to requests from your
command line tool? not only does it work out of the box right now, but you
also get servlet reloading if you want it, you get nice logging, you get a
little apache process to watch your buggy JVM and kick it as needed.

again, i don't _know_ that it doesn't make sense to tunnel other service
requests through HTTP, but i haven't seen an argument that convinces me
otherwise neither.

- donald