cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:31:37 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, brian moseley wrote:

> consider this use case: procmail pipes an email message
> to a command line tool. the tool creates a servlet request
> out of the message and hands the request to the cocoon
> engine. the engine creates a servlet response containing an
> html document. the tool places the html document on
> the file system and checks the file into cvs.

Thought - why not just have the command line tool construct and fire off
an HTTP request? That way you're not forcing your mail server and your
cocoon server to coexist. Plus you keep all of the benefits of servlets
(namely persistency).

In general, you should be able to map most any service request to an HTTP
request. It may not necessarily be the best design pattern - I don't
honestly know, but it's at least worth considering.

- donald