cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: SQLProcessor & SQL TagLib
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 17:28:46 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, John Morrison wrote:

> Donald - you mention that the SQLProcessor won't be around much
> longer and will be replaced by something called XSP SQL TagLib(?).  At
> the moment I can see the following translation being something I do at
> work with great frequency...
>
> html form->XSP          (to fill in query variables)
> XSP->SQLProcessor (to do the query)
> SQLProcess->XSLT  (to allow me to add more XSP to format dates etc)
> XSLT->XSP                (format dates etc)
> XSP->XSL (html)        (for display.)
>
> The question is, XSP dynamically generates a servlet/processor
> whatever you want to call it, compiles it and the result is executed.  How
> does the above (with 2 dynamically generated sections) stand - does the
> second second get regenerated every time and will this XSP SQL TagLib
> allow me to 'fold' the two XSP processing sections into one?
>
> Shame about the SQLProcessor, thought it was an excellent idea but I
> can see the above becoming more prevelant in my work.

As far as I can tell, yes, your second XSP page (that's dynamically
generated by XSLT) will be recompiled every time. Perhaps Ricardo can
speak to the contrary? Anyway, hmm, that's a significant restriction, and
should be addressed, but I can't see how you'd avoid the problem if the
SQL library was called as a processor rather than as a taglib. The code
will be pretty much the same, it's just the, uh, user API that will change
(for the better, one would hope).

Maybe I'm missing something?

- donald