cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <>
Subject RE: Problem running XSP samples
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:17:46 GMT
On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Ricardo Rocha wrote:

> On Jan-19-2000 Pascal Houde wrote:
> > I can't run any of the Cocoon 1.6 XSP samples. I always get a
> > "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.w3c.dom.Node: method normalize()V not
> > found". See below for complete stack trace.
> > At the line where the error occur ( there's a
> > switch statement in the process(Node) method where it test the node type.
> > When it's an ELEMENT_NODE, it cast the Node object to an Element
> > object and calls the normalize method (line 115). It fails at that point.
> > I am using Xerces 1.0.1 for my DOM implementation (I guess that
> > the error is here...).
> This is a problem for which Donald Ball already found a solution:
> On Jan-13-2000 Donald Ball wrote:
> > Actually, I just fixed the problem locally. I moved Xerces.jar to the top
> > of the CLASSPATH and things are working again. Irritating, that so many
> > JARs include different variations on DOM.
> > - donald
> This happened to me as well. I fixed it by placing Xerces before Xalan
> in the classpath setting.

Can we perhaps get a known good CLASSPATH posted on the web site to which
we can refer people who're having trouble?

I'll start. This is what I use:

that's everything (i think) that's required to run cocoon-1.6 (maybe even
some extraneous stuff). I do still have trouble rebuilding cocoon until I
remember to delete sun's parser (i must need to switch some things around
still), but I can live with that. Xerces was compiled from CVS recently,
Xalan is latest binary build. Are there any additions, subtractions, or
modifications to the list?

- donald

View raw message