cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Thu, 06 Jan 2000 20:07:37 GMT
On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > I'm thinking in the
> > case of most hosting companies, which offer plans with a lot of cool stuff
> > (cgi, php, mysql, or even coldfusion...) but without having a dedicated
> > server for each costumer. Are ISP going to be able to offer Cocoon as a
> > extra service without too much pain?
>
> Yes, IMO, much more easier to leave a single Cocoon for each virtual
> host rather than having one cocoon for all. A lot more client
> flexibility of configuration.

Okay, I must bring up a possible counterexample. Some of my designers feel
that 'hostname' directed browsing is going to become more and more
prevalent. that is to say, instead of URLs like this:

http://news.com/europe/
http://news.com/africa/

we'll use things like this:

http://europe.news.com/
http://africa.news.com/

That's all well and good, but it's very likely that one would want to use
the same sitemap for all *.news.com sites, just direct the user towards
different XML data (and possible stylesheets) depending on the hostname
chosen.

Now, there's nothing in the servlet spec that prevents many virtual hosts
from sharing one servlet. Apache-JServ allows one servlet zone to be
mounted in many virtual hosts. Why can't we build something into the
sitemap to accomodate site designers who want this sort of functionality?

<host name="europe.news.com">
 ... other directives here ...
</host>

Next question - it would seem that the general consensus is towards
Pier and Stefano's proposed map syntax, with the 'prefix' tag as suggested
by Brett. Is that so? If so, let's work on a pseudocode algorithm for
using the sitemap and then implement it already. I can't see anything
horrendously difficult there (not anything as hard as, say, XSP :))

- donald