cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: XSLT/XSP Unification?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:12:31 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Then, the "result" XSP page, is
> transformed into java code (using XSLT) and then compiled into a Cocoon
> producer, or, in case you want to make it portable without Cocoon, to a
> servlet (even if I don't suggest this approach for a number of reasons).

This is just an implementation detail.  I still don't understand why using
XSLT in the "XSP" step of your model changes things.  SAXON has long been
compiling XSLT into Java code.

> Hope this clarifies things.

Well, it helps a little, but doesn't change my mind.  While I (think I)
understand your points, and many of them are good ones, I don't think they
justify the new language.  In my opinion the gains made by reuse of the
XSLT syntax and semantics outweigh the gains made by creating new syntax
and semantics.  You can still build the your model on XSLT, and without a
lot of loss in what you're trying to achieve.

-scott