cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject RE: xBug -Reply
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:25:08 GMT

"Ricardo Rocha" <ricardo@apache.org> said:
> That said, I'd like to contrast this open-source endeavor with that of a
> commercial software company.
>
> In the latter, it would be an inadmissible waste of time and money to
> reinvent the wheel, especially around such a critical component.
>
> Here, though, I feel we can afford this luxury as long as we get what
> seems to be our collective motivation: learning, testing, improving...

Normally I would agree with you.  But I think a bug tracking system is a
special case.  Here I'm not worried about waste of time and money or
reinventing the wheel, I'm worried about the ability to present a stable
environment for users and developers, in order to make all projects more
stable and reliable.

I'm not saying that xBug shouldn't be done, but, like Ant, it should only
be used once it is better than existing systems.  The difference between
Ant and xBug, is that with a bug tracking system, there is an immediate
compelling need for all projects to share the same system, which the same
is *less* so with the makefile technology.

-scott