cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Happy to be wrong!
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:13:01 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Scott proposed stylesheet compilation as a solution: but in my mind I
> could not see how compiling a stylesheet would help... true, you could
> simplify many things and do faster transformations but you still had to
> do XML parsing, events feeding, tree creation and evaluation and a bunch
> of stuff...

I agree.  The only reason I proposed stylesheet compilation to Java code is
that seemed to be what everyone was touting as the reason that XSP pages
could be faster than XSLT.  But I've always thought that in the scheme of
things, this would be a small win compared to algorithmic improvements,
which is why we haven't tried to do it yet.  First things first.

> A smart E-XSLT engine should _not_ perform stylesheet compilation (which
> may be helpful but no that much), but do _page_ compilation.

Sorry, can you explain "page compilation" a little more?

> NOTE: I still like the ability to use XSP as a taglib for direct code
> inclusion inside a page, it may be helpful.

Yep, you'll get it!

-scott