cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Happy to be wrong!
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 21:53:14 GMT

Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pier@apache.org> wrote:
>> Sorry, can you explain "page compilation" a little more?
>
> I believe you can translate any XML document into Java Code...
> Basically you can translate a XML document into a class that generates
>(for example) SAX events...

For the stylesheet, or the input XML?  Certainly you can't do it for the
output XML, as the whole point to XSP/EXSLT is the dynamic generation.  For
the input XML, just caching a DOM (or DTM) would seem to me much better
than creating Java code to produce SAX events.  For the stylesheet, the
prebuild Stylesheet object is again much better than creating Java code
that would then build the stylesheet again.  The stylesheet is an optimized
proprietary stylesheet only semi-DOM... things like java-code can be easily
precompiled into it.  The only optimization involving Java code production
I can think of beyond that is to compile the stylesheet into Java code
instead of a tree structure that's recursivly iterated, but Stefano and I
both agree that this is comparitivly minor optimization compared to other
optimization that will be made.

Sorry if I'm being dense.

I hope no one is judging XSLT performance based on either Xalan or XT in
the current version of Cocoon, since the stylesheet is currently being
rebuilt every time from the DOM.  This is not to say the performance of
Xalan is as good as it needs to be yet (though we're making some major
progress which I hope you'll all see next couple of weeks), but using a
pool of prebuilt stylesheet will make a major difference, I think.  Direct
SAX output to the result stream, when appropriate, would also make a major
difference.

-scott

                    Pierpaolo

                    Fumagalli            To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    <pier@apache.        cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                    org>                 Subject:     Re: Happy to be wrong!

                    01/28/00

                    04:30 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    cocoon-dev

Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> > A smart E-XSLT engine should _not_ perform stylesheet compilation
(which
> > may be helpful but no that much), but do _page_ compilation.
>
> Sorry, can you explain "page compilation" a little more?

I believe you can translate any XML document into Java Code...
Basically you can translate a XML document into a class that generates
(for example) SAX events...

           Pier