cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: XSLT/XSP Unification?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 13:47:08 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> Maybe I totally fail to understand what you mean by "xslt compilation".
> Could you explain that further?

Well, I often speak of stylesheet compilation as what Xalan does, which is
compiling the stylesheet into an intermediary structure optimized for
transformation execution.  But my understanding is SAXON is able to run the
stylesheet through a special stylesheet that transforms the XSLT to a java
class, similar I think to what you do with XSP pages.  I have not looked at
his implementation, but I assume you build each template into a method that
would execute the literal result elements in some optimized way, and
execute the XSLT instructions and extensions by pretty much doing what the
XSLT processor does now.  I don't think this is hard to do, and would
probably require minimal code changes to the Xalan base.  (If some
enterprising soul wants to give this a try, I would be glad to work with
you...).  Anyhow, what you would end up with is a Java object that you
could simply execute.

-scott