cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: xBug -Reply
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2000 15:38:15 GMT

I hate to rain on the parade, but I strongly feel that xml.apache.org
should work off a single bug tracking system so that bugs can be
cross-posted and transferred.  I would rather see one of the existing bug
tracking systems be used ASAP... I've been pretty upset that one isn't up
yet.

If people do want to write another bug tracking system, I feel it should be
done as a separate project from Cocoon, it should be done orthogonally to
the needs of xml.apache.org, and should be adapted by xml.apache.org on
it's merits.  A bug tracking system is too important and central to the
well-being of the projects to do anything else.

-scott

                    John Morrison

                    <john.morrison@exp        To:     cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org

                    erian.com>                cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                              Subject:     xBug -Reply

                    01/20/00 07:49 AM

                    Please respond to

                    cocoon-dev

I don't know much about how to get the data _into_ a db, but the
structure of the db should be quite easy.  Can't you use the SQL
producer + xsl stylesheets/transformations to get the data out?

>>> Jerm <jermq@media.demon.co.uk> 20/January/2000 11:52am >>>
Dear All,

I have been in discussion with Stefano over the last couple of days,
about
building a Bug Tracking system for Cocoon, in Cocoon.

After going over various ways of handling this, we decided that the only
technique that really makes any sense, is to store bugs in an SQL
Database.

I am offering to build the project, but the first problem is that I have
never
used SQL before .... consequentially, it will probably take me longer to
complete this than almost anyone else on this list ... ;-)

OK, this is what I plan to do.

1. In collaboration with you lot, work out what it is we want the bug
tracking
system to be. What fields are stored, using what DTD, providing what
functionality etc. I have ripped off the input forms for both the Mozilla
and
Apache bug systems and will use these as the starting point for
discussion.

2. Prototype the system using something quick (for me) like FileMaker Pro,
running on one of my servers. With the aim that a useable system will be
up and
running (and doing it's job) asap.

3. in the meantime, learn SQL etc. and get on with the Cocoon version.

I'll be working on this part-time.

My desired outcome includes the following:

- A solid bug tracking system that meets our needs.
- An example of how to handle HTML Form submission and DB writing
within Cocoon
- A practical demonstration of the power of Cocoon
- A vast improvement in my Java skills .....
- A framework for building my own remote/dynamically editable sites

So, any comments so far?

Is there anybody out there about to say "I got one of those, I can set it
up
in
10 minutes!"?

I will no-doubt be asking lots of basic question, please have patience ...

regards Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre

   <mailto:sharkbait@mac.com>