cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Angel Faus" <af...@derecho.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Fri, 07 Jan 2000 23:11:13 GMT

>Wrong. A counter example: suppose you do a getResource() at
>servlet.init() and you have mounted your servlet to two virtual hosts,
>each one hosted on a different machine. Where is the resource? how do
>you map it?
>

>To avoid such a problems with heavily distributed 3-tier systems, the
>Servlet API rules that the instance of a servlet may be hooked to one
>and only one servlet context. Period. Ask your favorite servlet guru if
>you don't trust me :)
>

>> Apache-JServ allows one servlet zone to be
>> mounted in many virtual hosts.
>

>Yes, but this could be done (with some problems, because of Servlet 2.0)
>and, remember, jserv is not able to make callbacks or to access web
>server resources if the two are located on different machines.
>
>> Why can't we build something into the
>> sitemap to accomodate site designers who want this sort of functionality?
>
>because if europe.news.com and africa.news.com share the same resources,
>you should have two cocoon instances, each one associated with a
>different servlet context (virtual-host), that share the same files on
>the disk.
>
>Look: I'm not saying I like this (read the servlet expert group mail
>digests for my comments on that), but we could not find a simple
>solution for the problem and, besides, there are not many servlets that
>are as big and complex as Cocoon.

Does Servlet 2.2 allow to make internal redirect so, for instance, we can
redirect (internally) europe.news.com to news.com/continents/europe so we
can handle all requests with the same cocoon instance?? (mod_perl does allow
it). Maybe this could do the trick. There must be some solution!!!. As an
example, my current primary job is as head webmaster of a medium-big site,
which has currently 21 virtualhosts running in a single machine (like
europe.news.com,...). We want to move from our current XML publication
system (a modperl coded one) to Cocoon as soon as we get 1.6. But I think
this problem (the need of one cocoon instance for each virtualhost) could be
a serious inconvenience, since we probably would need more hardware if we
need one Cocoon (RAM, etc..) for each virtual host. I am right??

The worst thing is that probably this problem is quite general... we are not
the only ones using *.news.com-like virtualhosts. :(

>> Next question - it would seem that the general consensus is towards
>> Pier and Stefano's proposed map syntax, with the 'prefix' tag as
suggested
>> by Brett. Is that so? If so, let's work on a pseudocode algorithm for
>> using the sitemap and then implement it already. I can't see anything
>> horrendously difficult there (not anything as hard as, say, XSP :))
>
>+1 for me.
>
>I'll be very busy in the next two weeks since I have to prepare a bunch
>of papers for the two conferences XML 2000 and ApacheCon 2000, then I
>have a couple of juicy consulting contracts and a piece of my thesis to
>write... god, lots of stuff.
>
>I'm doing 1.6 really soon and then I'll let you guys play the big drama
>:)
>
>[Brett, it's your time to earn that mail address :)]

I am waiting for 1.6... really!! :)

	Angel