cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jerm <je...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject bugoon
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:38:43 GMT
Hi,

I am getting to the point where I can start work on Bugoon.

I first want to sort out the basic plan of the software, functionality, data
model etc.

This ought to happen in an 'ideal' way, as pointed out by Ricardo Rocha :

On 20/1/00 at 6:52 am, ricardo@apache.org (Ricardo Rocha) wrote:

>0) "Retrofit" Bugzilla from the forms you ripped off by applying
>    entity-relationship modelling. Identify entities (bug, platform,
>    servlet engine), domains (status, priority, severity), attributes
>    (summary, keywords) and relationships (assigned-to, dependent
>    bug(s)).
>
>1) Retrofit a state model from Bugzilla's "Bug's Life Cycle". Identify
>    initial state, valid transitions, events triggering transitions,
>processes
>    associated with events, etc
>
>2) Derive an SQL database schema from this entity-relationship
>    model. Rules for this transformation are straightforward: entities
>    map to tables, domains to check constraints, attributes to columns,
>    relationships to foreign keys and intersection tables, etc.

[etc]

Reading this makes me think that Ricardo has said everything that needs to be
said, I just don't know what all of it means ;-)

Can anyone suggest some good reading I can do to get up to speed on this?

If this is indeed going to be a worthwhile "testbed for a dynamic XML
development methodology" we gotta do it right, and I will need some help at this
stage (plus probably most of the others :)

Is there anyone with the time and knowledge of this stuff who can help?

Thanks

Jeremy

                                                       webSpace Design
                                            HyperMedia Research Centre