cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: search engine
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:24:44 GMT
On 13/1/00 at 5:48 pm, pier@apache.org (Pierpaolo Fumagalli) wrote:

>Jerm wrote:
>> With an XML list of your site's files to play with, it could be possible to
>> make an XSL that acts as a basic search engine for your site with Cocoon,
>> using the document() function;

>But I think it would be so slow... Being orthogonal to HTML, also, an
>XML search engine should be able to work on different data, like, since
>most of the DTDs are "site specific", working on the contexts where
>keywords to search are found (If I look for a product called "FOOBAR" on
>my site, the search engine might be "clever" enough to search the word
>"foobar" in the <product> tag...)

I agree!
Very slow, and have to be built specially for each DTD.
But while another solution does not exist (?) it could be a temporary solution.

regards Jeremy

      Jeremy Quinn                                             media.demon
                                                           webSpace Design
     <mailto:jeremy@media.demon.co.uk>       <http://www.media.demon.co.uk>
      <phone:+44.[0].207.737.6831>          <pager:jermq@sms.genie.co.uk>