cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:47:16 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> Thought - why not just have the command line tool construct and fire off
> an HTTP request? That way you're not forcing your mail server and your
> cocoon server to coexist. Plus you keep all of the benefits of servlets
> (namely persistency).
>
> In general, you should be able to map most any service request to an HTTP
> request. It may not necessarily be the best design pattern - I don't
> honestly know, but it's at least worth considering.
>
> - donald
I agree - maybe we could start a side project, (we can call it "Mothra" :-))
that develops a java application that generates HTTP requests to Cocoon for
creation of static pages.  It would probably be pretty easy.  We could even
use the Jakarta projects work to create a standalone version of Tomcat that
runs Cocoon right out of the box but is configured and run from within
Mothra so the user doesn't have to worry about that meddlesome HTTP stuff.
Also, make it have a plug-in architecture so that if you wanted it process
incoming email you could write a plug-in that allowed it receive that kind
of request and forward it to Cocoon.
??

Mike