cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Engelhart <mengelh...@earthtrip.com>
Subject Re: shared object Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:28:12 GMT
on 1/11/00 8:05 AM, Brett McLaughlin at bmclaugh@algx.net wrote:

> I'm +1 for the idea, -1 on your implementation (nothing personal ;-) ).
> I think things like this do not belong (coded) in Cocoon.  They are part
> of a large application frameworks, like Turbine (incidentally, where we
> have implemented something similar to what you outlined).  Those
> frameworks, which are designed to use things like Cocoon (Cocoon, keep
> in mind, is a _publishing_ framework, not an application framework),
> should handle services.
>
> So maybe take a look at Turbine, this is there, and then Turbine can
> certainly use Cocoon for screen processing.
>
> -Brett
nothing taken personally ;-)  Thanks for looking at the proposal.

In some ways I agree but don't you think that Turbine could be considered
overkill for smaller web applications?  Things like database access (and
thus connection pools shared objects) are very common if not a requirement
on even the smallest intranet that may not have the need for something like
Turbine.

Mike