cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Timm, Sean" <ST...@mailgo.com>
Subject RE: Retrieve the process type within a processor?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 06:18:47 GMT
It was a momentary lapse of sanity during a brief compromise on design
integrity (at least the reason I was looking at it).

However, let me explain briefly part of how we are using Cocoon and why I
think I might want to do it.  We are dynamically generating the
cocoon-process tags based on a custom sitemap file (not related to the
current Cocoon sitemap proposal) and passing the data off to various
processors.  It provides a great way to partition functionality so we can
add or remove various parts of the system without modifying anything but our
sitemap (and cocoon.properties file).

In our current design, I don't believe it is necessary, so perhaps this is
just a matter of good versus bad design, but it seems you could run into a
situation where you are dynamically generating processing tags, and the
processor you are currently in determines that it needs data from the user.
It passes a page to the user that posts the user's responses back to Cocoon
along with information about the processor that needed the data. It queries
the site through the sitemap processor which must once again dynamically
establish where to pass control off to, and the processor that had to query
data is wanting to be called again to complete the processing of the data.

The processor that originally decided it needed the data was responsible for
querying for that data, so it needs some way to add in the tag information
that says "call me again" without having to hard-code the name of the
processor specified in the cocoon.properties file.

Once again, I don't believe our current design calls for this, but it seems
like this could be useful occasionally.  Am I once again having a temporary
loss of sanity, or does this make some sort of sense?

- Sean T.