cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From COFFMAN Steven <SCoff...@CBSINC.com>
Subject RE: Sitemap and Links...
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2000 17:16:22 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Please, let's consider this: XML inheritance reduces verbosity but
> increases complexity. Also, there is no standard/complete way to do XML
> inheritance between different files (like I suggested) or in between the
> same file (like Donald and you suggest).

> But I think we should concentrate on having the sitemap complete on its
> funtionality side before reducing verbosity with inheritance.

Huh? Don't you mean XSL inheritance? XML inheritance is standardized, or
will be shortly.

The XLink spec (show="parsed" actuate="auto") allows for XML inheritance.
Each instance [page] can specify to inherit [integrate] from another class
[page]. With XPointer you can refine it further to specify portions of
documents to inherit, rather than the whole thing. Maybe my internal XSLT
from object-speak to XML-speak is buggy, but that's the behavior you're
talking about, right?

XSL inheritance is a different matter. I missed your proposed extension to
XML for inheritance. Where's that at?
-Steve