cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Wolpert <wolp...@radiancegroup.com>
Subject RE: XSP requires Servlet 2.2 API
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:27:22 GMT
I don't think that it is backwards compatible, but I'm not sure. XSP
looks like to work it requires JSDK-2.2, as opposed to just compile it.
(addDateHeader(), etc). Where as the ProducerFromFile class _looks_ like
it can handle either 2.2 or 2.0 JSDK to function. (It does a try-catch
block around one technique in the getBasename() method, then defaults
to the 2.0 technique).  Can someone verify that 2.2 is not required to
use the XSP side?  (Has it been verified?)

-----Original Message-----
From: Donald Ball [mailto:balld@webslingerZ.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 4:16 PM
To: 'cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: Re: XSP requires Servlet 2.2 API

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Ed Wolpert wrote:

> As a follow-up to my earlier question about needing Servlet 2.2 for Cocoon
> 1.6
> (As opposed to compiling/working with Servlet API 2.0... the only one that
> JServ supports) it seems the much of the XSP code requires methods from
> the Servlet API 2.2, such as in XSPResponseLibrary, method addDateHeader()
> calls the response object addDateHeader() which only exists in the 2.2
API.
> Can XSP function using Apache JServ as the servlet engine, if XSP requires
> compliance to the Servlet 2.2 API, and JServ only has compliance to
Servlet
> 2.0 API?

Our decision was that developers would be required to use JSDK-2.2 to
compile cocoon, but that we would provide backwards-compatibility
workaround to maintain JSDK-2.0 compliance as well. If that is _not_ the
case then we need to patch cocoon and release 1.6.1.

Not to mention - while it's great that we're now at 1.6, it would've been
good if Stefano had run this past the developers first so that we could
test all of our platforms. Next time, please? I mean, it's one thing to
assume that it works on, say, ServletExec, but another thing entirely to
actually run the tests. :)

- donald