cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTTP headers (redirect and so on..)
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:17:54 GMT
Eric SCHAEFFER wrote:

> Youps, sorry. I misunderstood something (+ I thought that if the document
> was null in Engine.java, it could raise an NullPointerException or something
> like that).
> I'm confused...

I think that setting the output to null should be discouradged. I
discussed with Eric before and i think we should have a
StopProcessingSignal throwable class that can be thrown to signal the
end of the processing.

But in case SAX is used, you should call closeDocument() and terminate
that. I think we should leave the return null hack for now and thinking
about correct SAX handling in the future.

> (But you don't return null, you set the document variable to null in your
> XSP page because the populateDocument function doesn't return anything.)

??

> But I've got another problem : XSP pages are compiled and cached in the
> repository. They can be recovered by their URL. Good.
> But what if it's my producer that return different XML documents depending
> on the context ?

That should _not_ be handled by your producer, but the sitemap should
call the right producer depending on some rules or some matching class.

> I wrote a producer that perform some verifications before reading the XML
> file, and redirect the client to another URL when a error occures.
> As the producers can't write directly in the response object, my producer
> return an XML document to perform the redirect. If I return an XSP page, and
> if it's already catched, it isn't recompiled and no redirect is performed...

? the redirect tells the browser to request another URI which can be
handled by another XSP. I don't see the problem. Are you talking about
internal redirection?

> My question is : why producers can't have access to the response object ?

Because they should not be able to mess with the output stream directly.
We all agreed that a better Request/Response model should be defined,
and that producers should have access to _some_ response methods, but
not all.

Niclas told me he's going to propose a better API for Request and
Response objects. We should wait for his proposal before dive into this
more deeply.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.