cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Happy to be wrong!
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:29:11 GMT
Steve Muench wrote:

> | > Sorry, can you explain "page compilation" a little more?
> |
> | I believe you can translate any XML document into Java Code...
> | Basically you can translate a XML document into a class that generates
> | (for example) SAX events...
>
> Pier,
>
> Would the claim then be that an XML document converted
> into Java code that fires SAX events runs faster than
> a SAX Parser parsing that file and firing the same
> events? I haven't tested this, so this is purely
> wondering if the claim is based on some tests someone
> has done on the matter...

It's pretty obvious: the most optimized code is one that is never
executed!!!

Of course, since the java class file must remain in memory, I would not
suggest you to "compile" a 100Mb long database dump :) but for small
pages, you can bet it's going to be faster.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.