cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSP (minus Cocoon plus SAX) success story
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:48:54 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > I find myself in the strange situation where XSP is something in between
> > JSP and E-XSLT....
> >
> > if you know calculus enough, when three continuous functions
> >
> >  f(x) <= g(x) <= h(x) for every 'x'
> >
> > and
> >
> >   lim    f(x) = lim    h(x)
> >   x->inf        x->inf
> >
> > what happens to g(x)?
> >
> > That's how I feel XSP right now: a little squeezed between two big guys
> > :)
>
> Yeah, well, lots of us don't necessarily trust the bug guys closed
> development processes. What's E-XSLT anyway?

EXSLT := XSLT with extentions, such as <xt:document> or <xalan:whatever>
or <sql:query>

XSLT can be extended to allow new magic tags to perform operation at
runtime. Or, as I proposed to match XSP functionality, to perform
generation of java code that will result in an XML producer doing the
same job without the XSLT execution overhead.

>From a user point of view

 <sql:query>select * from clients</sql:query>

results in output extracted from a database. If this is done at
interpretation time (parsing + xslt transformation + extended tags
evalutation) or compilation time (direct production), the result should
be entirely the same.

Only speed will change. (well, if a database is hit, probably not that
much difference anyway, but you get my point)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.