cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Happy to be wrong!
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:24:12 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Have you ever been happy to be wrong?
> >
> Sorry to be so ignorant but where does that leave dynamic content
> generation?  What is the link between code that does business logic, data
> access, etc. and the XML page you're trying to transform?
>
> Also as I've been thinking about moving my JSP to XSP, will XSP be supported
> well enough into the future that people can use XSP now because we have work
> to do and then move to E-XSLT when that is ready. It sounds like that is
> pretty long ways off in development terms.

NONONONONO... :)

Sorry, people, I should have sent that mail privately to the people
involved... it contains many details that were dealt with privately so I
will explain futher for those of you who didn't get a clue on what was
going on :)

1) XSP is going nowhere!!! The whole thread is about implementation
details and distribution of code and human resources to the Xalan/Cocoon
project and some theorical reasonings that we had since may 99 (yes,
guys, I'm slow, I know that!)

2) XSP is a namespace and a taglib. We _guarantee_ that we'll continue
to support it one way or the other... it will change _how_ their
execution/compilation is performed, but it will not change how the spec
is done and how your pages are executed.

3) point 1 and 2 are carved in stone! So it's point 3)

4) It might happen that XSP influence JSP-next to fix some of their XML
problems. If this happens, we'll provide a smoot XSP to JSP-next
transition with transformation sheets that allow you not to waste time
on porting you stuff over. READ CAREFULLY: it _might_ happen, or if this
doesn't happen we'll stay with XSP.

So, if you planned/started to use XSP, go right ahead full steam: they
have never been so solid as today.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.