cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hannes Haug <Han...@Haug.com>
Subject Re: don't cache - compile
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:06:06 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Hannes Haug wrote:
>
> > Do we have to cache the output documents of processors?
> > I don't think so. The output documents of formatters
> > depend only on the input documents. So let's cache the
> > final document. Or better: don't cache - validate.
>
> Wrong... User-Agent differences, locale differences,
> sessions? and so forth...
> And I think this breaks your argument quite a lot.

Why do you think that an external cache is not able to
handle such things?

> I strongly believe that the ultimate caching involves the opposite. By
> breaking down the complete processing stage into smaller fractions, and
> in that way find possible sub-documents to cache and/or compile.

My argument is that optimising the processing eliminates
the intermediate documents. I don't know which strategy
will finally result in faster solutions. Combinations might
be possible. But the cached data wouln't be the documents
between the original stages but between new stages in the
one big processor. And perhaps it's not usefull to try to
find such stages.

 -hh