cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Retrieve the process type within a processor?
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:14:21 GMT
"Timm, Sean" wrote:

> It was a momentary lapse of sanity during a brief compromise on design
> integrity (at least the reason I was looking at it).
>
> However, let me explain briefly part of how we are using Cocoon and why I
> think I might want to do it.  We are dynamically generating the
> cocoon-process tags based on a custom sitemap file (not related to the
> current Cocoon sitemap proposal) and passing the data off to various
> processors.  It provides a great way to partition functionality so we can
> add or remove various parts of the system without modifying anything but our
> sitemap (and cocoon.properties file).
>
> In our current design, I don't believe it is necessary, so perhaps this is
> just a matter of good versus bad design, but it seems you could run into a
> situation where you are dynamically generating processing tags, and the
> processor you are currently in determines that it needs data from the user.
> It passes a page to the user that posts the user's responses back to Cocoon
> along with information about the processor that needed the data. It queries
> the site through the sitemap processor which must once again dynamically
> establish where to pass control off to, and the processor that had to query
> data is wanting to be called again to complete the processing of the data.
>
> The processor that originally decided it needed the data was responsible for
> querying for that data, so it needs some way to add in the tag information
> that says "call me again" without having to hard-code the name of the
> processor specified in the cocoon.properties file.
>
> Once again, I don't believe our current design calls for this, but it seems
> like this could be useful occasionally.  Am I once again having a temporary
> loss of sanity, or does this make some sort of sense?

I see.

It seems to me (but I could be totally wrong, as usual) that what you
need shows lack of structure in the overall architecture. This is
exactly what the sitemap is proposing and for sure it doesn't require
the processor to know its name. That sounds like a very dirty context
overlap to me.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.