cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XSLT/XSP Unification?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:56:52 GMT
Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> > Then, the "result" XSP page, is
> > transformed into java code (using XSLT) and then compiled into a Cocoon
> > producer, or, in case you want to make it portable without Cocoon, to a
> > servlet (even if I don't suggest this approach for a number of reasons).
>
> This is just an implementation detail.  I still don't understand why using
> XSLT in the "XSP" step of your model changes things.  SAXON has long been
> compiling XSLT into Java code.

Maybe I totally fail to understand what you mean by "xslt compilation".
Could you explain that further?

> > Hope this clarifies things.
>
> Well, it helps a little, but doesn't change my mind.  While I (think I)
> understand your points, and many of them are good ones, I don't think they
> justify the new language.  In my opinion the gains made by reuse of the
> XSLT syntax and semantics outweigh the gains made by creating new syntax
> and semantics.  You can still build the your model on XSLT, and without a
> lot of loss in what you're trying to achieve.

I don't care if we use XSP, xSLT, Xpages, JSP or even ASP, as long as
this thing proves itself useful.

Everybody which is more expert than me thinks that XSP can be replaced
by XSLT with extentions.

Know what? I'd be happy to find out this is true. Why? so I can reuse
your code and forget about it :)

Anyway, Ricardo is in full charge of this dynamic content generation
business: he's the man in this area and I'm very happy to give control
to somebody else. Sure, I'll keep an eye to see where things go, but I
want to concentrate on more architectural things from now on.

Expecially since you guys know what you're doing, probably much better
than I do :)

Is everybody happy with this?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.