cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cache
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:36:11 GMT
brian moseley wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > We thought also about having an MD5 representation of
> > the HTTP request, and see if that one was equal to the
> > previously received one (if a person enters the same
> > data in a form, the page doesn't need to be
> > regenerated)...
>
> this is an approach we're taking with an object server we're
> building, in order to assure atomic updates. we create a
> hash when we fetch the object from the server, then when we
> go to update the object, hash the stored object again and
> compare it to the fetch hash. if the two are not the same,
> the update fails.
>
> we can guarantee objects of no larger than 32k
> across-the-wire size tho. i dont know if hashing is a good
> approach for larger data.

Agreed... There should be a limit to the amount of data that can be
represented in a hashed value. Anyway the fact that someone also had the
idea of hashing request parameters and data to provide a efficent
caching mechanism makes me feel better... at least if we're wrong, it's
not just me alone :) :) :)

	Pier