cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:07:02 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> M Heuer wrote:
>
> > I tend to dream along the same lines.  If I could issue a generic request,
> > ie. one not tied to the servlet paradigm, I could use the cocoon publishing
> > framework in a wider range of applications.
>
> Wasn't the original idea behind the Servlet API that it would be generic
> request paradigm?  Are future versions of the API always going to be tied so
> tightly with HTTP requests/respones?

Unfortunately, yes. :( And, man, I tried hard to change their minds...
but back compatibility is their god, no matter what benefits you gain.

On the other hand, they welcome the idea of MailServlets and would like
to see them in action before reconsidering this. This was the final
argument that made me stop biting James' ass :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.