cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 21:24:00 GMT
brian moseley wrote:

[skipped very good comments]

> in my experience, its best to not perform this construction
> at request time because of the often large number of
> elements in each artifact that must be assembled into the
> whole. i find that an offline compilation process, combined
> with an application that can sense and reload cached
> stylesheets and compiled classes which have been modified,
> allows the best performance, and the least opportunity for
> different instances of an application to become out of sync.
> it also allows construction to happen at a central point on
> the network, as a scheduled job or triggered manually, after
> which the compiled assets can be distributed to production
> hosts. this type of control over the update of cobranding
> assets is essential for high paying and very picky
> customers.

This is an implementation detail. If the producer is hand written or
dynamically compiled, this doesn't change the design pattern used for
separation.

I agree, however, that Cocoon should provide a way to "compile" the
whole web app, much like Stylebook generates the web site.

This is far from be impossible to do with what the
technologies/implementations we already have (since both XSP and XSLT
compilation are available).

But I'd rather focus on finishing internal details before moving to
usability needs.

Otherwise, the todo list will be become scary and my laziness will grow
even worse :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.