cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:56:37 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, brian moseley wrote:
>
> > consider this use case: procmail pipes an email message
> > to a command line tool. the tool creates a servlet request
> > out of the message and hands the request to the cocoon
> > engine. the engine creates a servlet response containing an
> > html document. the tool places the html document on
> > the file system and checks the file into cvs.
>
> Thought - why not just have the command line tool construct and fire off
> an HTTP request? That way you're not forcing your mail server and your
> cocoon server to coexist. Plus you keep all of the benefits of servlets
> (namely persistency).

Bingo... Also because I want to see how much time it will take to fire
up a whole JVM from the command line every time you have to process an
Email :) Either you have a Java Mail Server (read it James, and GO AND
LOOK AT IT, DAMMIT! :):):) or if you want to use sendmail, be ready to
have a nice uptime on your machine :)

> In general, you should be able to map most any service request to an HTTP
> request. It may not necessarily be the best design pattern - I don't
> honestly know, but it's at least worth considering.

Hmmm... Anything can pass over HTTP. I mean, an email can be passed to a
servlet as a POST with and appropriate content-type (what was it?
"text/rfc-822").
But then, the output needs to go somewhere, it need a some kind of
redirection, because not always you're sending the response back to the
same client (basically email processing is following the
Request->Request model, from a protocol point of view). Do I need to get
technical on that? I'd rather move this whole discussion on the James
mailing list.

	Pier