cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:18:33 GMT
Mike Engelhart wrote:

> M Heuer wrote:
>
> > I tend to dream along the same lines.  If I could issue a generic request,
> > ie. one not tied to the servlet paradigm, I could use the cocoon publishing
> > framework in a wider range of applications.
>
> Wasn't the original idea behind the Servlet API that it would be generic
> request paradigm?  Are future versions of the API always going to be tied so
> tightly with HTTP requests/respones?

Yes... We had a lot of discussions with James Duncan Davidson, author of
the Servlet API spec up to version 2.2 (he changed position at Sun,
right now), expecially when thinking aobut the idea of Mail Servlets.
And the idea that came out of that discussions was that servlets would
be tied to HTTP (almost) forever.
That's why we abandoned the idea of Mail Servlets and desinged a new API
for James (the Java Apache *E* Mail Server).

	Pier