cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: servlet or no? (was Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II)
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 19:50:18 GMT
brian moseley wrote:

> you are unnecessarily limiting your universe. cocoon needs
> to be embeddable. the xsp and xsl compilers/cachers need to
> be able to work fully offline, not just the processors and
> serializers (or whatever the new names are). i have not seen
> an adequate argument to the contrary.

I perfectly agree how XSLT can work off line, it's just a transformation
language... But, regarding XSP, I don't think this is a possibility...
It's like trying to run a CGI from the command line...
Hey... Let's remember one thing... some components ARE reusable
(serializers: FOP, XML/HTML printers, NRG engine... and filters like
XSLT) some are tied to HTTP (XSP, things that rely on POST)...

I'm not saying that the whole universe NEEDS to be tied to HTTP, but I
say that in the context of Cocoon, it would be overhelming allowing it
to deal with things like EMails, and that it would be better if we
restrict it to Web Sites.

Other tools based on the same components (same pieces, different glue)
can be created to generate E-Mail, to do gopher, to create XML->LDAP
servers, or whatever we want, but those SHOULD NOT USE the same glue
used for the Web. The WEB-GLUE is cocoon...

	Pier