cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: anon CVS not working?
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:19:39 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > ben@scuzzy:~/work$ runsocks cvs -d
> > :pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org:/home/cvspublic co xml-cocoon
> > cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation
> > not permitted' from cvs server
> > protocol error: directory '/home/cvs/xml-cocoon' not within root
> > '/home/cvspublic'
> >
> > Setting the root to /home/cvs doesn't help either. Is this the right
> > tree to check out to be playing with XSP stuff, btw?
>
> Try this:
>
> > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org /home/cvspublic
> > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs login
> > (Logging in to anoncvs@xml.apache.org)
> > CVS password: anoncvs
> > [pier@kali:ttyp0]~ $ cvs checkout xml-cocoon
> > cvs checkout: warning: unrecognized response `cvs: setgroups: Operation not permitted'
from cvs server
> > cvs server: Updating xml-cocoon
> > U xml-cocoon/LICENSE
> > U xml-cocoon/README
> > [...]
>
> And it works....

I dunno what shell you are running, but my shell, as I expected, won't
chew this at all:

ben@scuzzy:~/work$ CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org
/home/cvspublic
bash: /home/cvspublic: No such file or directory

Furthermore, that's an invalid format for a CVSROOT (it should be
:pserver:anoncvs@xml.apache.org:/home/cvspublic). If I correct that,
then what you are doing is just another way of doing the same as I'm
doing. But, just for completeness I tried your way, and it makes no
difference - I get the same error.

Since what it is complaining about is largely true:

[locus] 8:16am ~ > ls -l /home/cvspublic/xml-cocoon
0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  20 Nov 28 16:27 /home/cvspublic/xml-cocoon@
-> /home/cvs/xml-cocoon

I'm guessing this is a CVS version issue, but is it a bug? I seem to be
running:

ben@scuzzy:~/work$ cvs --version

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client/server)

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

Y19100 no-prize winner!