cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:58:19 GMT
Ricardo Rocha wrote:

> I completely agree with Pier Paolo.
> [...]
> That said, there's a lot in Niclas' proposal that makes sense and is
> consistent with preserving Cocoon's identity while providing stronger
> support for application development.

Uh.. Totally... I wanted to say that many of the components used in
Cocoon, can be reused also in another tool dealing with XML translation
triggered by EMail events...

> A point where I tend to disagree with Niclas (unless I have missed
> his point) is in the convenience of applying multiple successive XSLT
> transformations:
>
> > I find a lot easier to make small XSLT sheets that each do a single
> > simple thing, than trying to incorporate all transformations in a single
> > sheet. It also makes stylesheet re-use and establishment of XSL
> > libraries easier. Therefor I have the multiple stage XSL
> > transformations as a basic feature.

I tend to agree with this. Look for example to the XML.APACHE.ORG
website. We have multiple DTDs (FAQ, changes, documents...) all those
are translated into one, (the document one) and then styled in HTML.
When I made the XMAS stylesheet (the one for Christmas) I just had to
change the last style, while all the others (from FAQ to DOC, and from
CHANGES to DOC) didn't change.

Of course, anyway, with stylebook and xml.apache.org I don't have
performance problems :)

	Pier