cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Moving on] SAX vs. DOM part II
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 07:09:53 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
> > Ok, but what is this discussion about?
>
> Exactly!!  The biggest 'problem' with Cocoon is that its purpose is not
> exactly specified.
> [...]

IMVHO the purpose of Cocoon is very well specified. Cocoon is an XML
publishing tool, and by "publishing" I mean the act of creating
web-sites (regardeless wether on-line, through HTTP, or off-line,
shipped on a CD-ROM, and regardeless wether your browser is a cellphone
or acrobat reader).

What you're asking, to bring Cocoon in the EMail world, basically, is,
IMVHO toally wrong. This idea wasn't born without a deep research. We
(Stefano and I) were the one who proposed EMail Servlets, and understood
how their model was wrong. We faced the same issue while designing
JAMES, the Java Apache (E*) Mail Server.

I learnt with time that reconciling different models within one single
generic case, not only complicates the model itself, but also allow to
have less power and control in each specific case. And reconciling two
things so different like HTTP and SMTP, is, again IMVHO, not a good
idea.

If you need to get something like Cocoon dealing w/ EMails, that's where
JAMES comes to play, because with its set of APIs you will be able to
design a cocoon-like tool, but dealing exactly with SMTP and EMAIL, and
allowing you to have more control on this process.

Doing that, anyway, doesn't prevent you to reuse components from the
Cocoon mainstream, like XSLT, the SQLProcessor, or all the others.

Before going on, anyway, I would like to hear comments from all you
others out there, because, if the majority of you agree that "this is
the way to go", I will have to accept it.

	Pier (the limited :) guy!)