cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Content-length
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:43:09 GMT
Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> > > It's not a problem with the DOM/SAX model, IMVHO. In both
> > > cases the format in wich the data is supplied to the
> > > serializer does not contain information on the content length.
> >
> > This can be viewed as a make-it-up-in-volume type of tradeoff
> > similar to the first time hit on compiling JSP/XSP. You blow off
> > trying to prepend the content-length for the first request for
> > the cacheable page and then make sure that the cache contains the
> > content-length for follow-on requests.
>
>  The first time can be buffered, and the content-length printed as well.
> Buffer has other benefits. With buffering, if a problem arises the user
> might be shown another page, because nothing has been sent.

Yep... But just imagine buffering 30/40 megs of generated PDF and then
sending them all to the client. It's too big to handle. And it takes too
much time, because first you have to compose the thing and save it
locally, AFTER, you can send it to the client...
The cache mechanism could buffer to a certain amount of data (let's say
30/40 kb?) and if we can do it, we stream it with the content length,
otherwise, we just avoid shipping content, stream all the content, while
duplicating it on the disk, and on next request, we transmit everything
(content length and data) from the cache !

	Pier