cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URLHandlerFactory problem
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:46:46 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Java has _major_ problem with URL design pattern and friends.

Did you just get that???? Hehehehe, way too slow, my friend...
I already tried to contact EVERYONE involved w/ Java.net, but the answer
is "that's the way it is"...

> While the java.net library is one of the oldest one and includes many
> good design patterns, it has a substantial limitation:

Many substantial limitations... Just look at the different behaviours of
Socket and DatagramSocket... This sucks :(

> - one and only one URLHandlerFactory per JVM can be set, no matter what
> security manager you have installed.

And it cannot be extended....

> This is taken from java.net.URL
> [...]

I had to fight w/ that piece of code while doing the sbk:// thing for
Stylebook... And in Avalon, that will become a NIGHTMARE...

> I don't care to know the reasons for such thing, but as it stands today,
> most of the ability of the java.net classes is lost because of this.

Yep...

> What do I suggest? simple, easy, something like
>
>  public static registerURLStreamHandler(String protocol,
> URLStreamHandler handler);
>
> God, it's not that hard...
>
> [James, would you do us a favor: tell James Gosling about it. I know
> he's the one who wrote and designed most of the java.net URL framework.
> I would like to know his comment about this... or, please, place this up
> high in the "todo list for 1.3final", thank you]

Probably it's too late for 1.3, but can we have something for 1.4?
And rembember that this is not the only "lack" of java.net, as I said,
take a look at all the code in Socket.java and DatagramSocket.java

	Pier