cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: xBug -Reply
Date Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:28:08 GMT
Donald Ball wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Andy Lewis wrote:
>
> > Hi all - I'm new to this list but have been following this thread a bit over
> > the last few days. I have been using Cocoon 1.5 for several projects -
> > including a completely new website for VERITAS that will be launching in the
> > next couple of weeks and a product catalog and shopping cart for another
> > site. All in all - Cocoon ROCKS!
> >
> > One of my projects at VERITAS (formerly Seagate Software, formerly Arcada)
> > was to implement a defect tracking system for our R&D group using Java. I
> > think it would prove an excellent "showcase" project. If the intent is to
> > take the technology out for a spin, if you will, would it not be best to
> > really show what it can do? By that I mean XSP to EJBs, with persistence to
> > a JDBC source? It just seems to me that a showcase should demonstrate the
> > power of the tool in the most powerful context....
>
> Sounds like a very fun project.

I agree. If you guys come up with some visible web app on the web that's
using Cocoon, let us know and I'll create a page for the "proud to be
using cocoon" people.

> > On another note - I have been having some significant issues with Cocoon
> > 1.5. I'm hoping that 1.6 will help. I've got about 1000 pages on the site,
> > and a rather complex XSL. I regularly get out of memory errors and/or Server
> > Errors when more than a couple of people start hitting the server. The
> > server is a COMPAQ ProLiant 1600, dual PII 400, 256M RAM, NT 4 SP 5, JRun
> > 2.3.3 Build 155, Sun JDK 1.2.1. I've not seen any of these problems on the
> > shopping cart site which runs RedHat 6.0, Apache 1.3.6, IBM 1.1.8 JDK, and
> > JRUN 2.3.3 Build 155. I'm currently migrating the NT environment to a real
> > platform (Solaris - company won't let me use Linux), but I thought I'd see
> > if anyone had any suggestions....
>
> It sounds like the cache system is getting overwhelmed.

Yep.

> Check /Cocoon.xml
> (if you have that magic URL enabled) on the server and see if the cache
> and/or memory store have lots of repeated URLs in them - I've had similar
> troubles with one of my local cocoon-1.5 installations (not running out of
> memory, but cocoon seemingly caching things more than once, or caching
> one-time querystring-based URLs). I used to pester Stefano about the cache
> system from time to time but haven't had the time lately. Sounds like a
> good problem for y'all to commit some resources towards fixing ;).

I agree.

The Cache system is using the Store system which is pluggable for that
reason: you should write a better one and replace it right way.

If you do, I'll be the happies one :)

> Oh, and you don't mention which XML parser and XSLT processor you're
> using. That may be relevant.

Yes, true, but out-of-memory problems are cache dependent.

NOTE: I cannot test Cocoon under heavy and meaningful load. Well, yeah,
I tried a couple of Jmeters hitting my laptop from my desktop, but
that's not a significant load... anyway, that's all the hardware I have
access to :(

So, I think others should continue on that road if the itch appears
evident.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.