cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2000 16:19:43 GMT
COFFMAN Steven wrote:

> Hrm. The sitemap decides based on [request] directory what xml sources to
> translate using what XSL:T. This is request based decision making. I agree
> that there shouldn't be processing instructions within the xml document, but
> should allowances be made for exceptions? In some scenarios, should the
> choice of XSL:T be made not by directory, but on an alternative basis such
> as based on DTD of the XML file. ChemML, MathML, xmi, SMDL and other unusual
> XML-based standards DTDs. Or your own "FAQ.DTD" which is for all your FAQ
> files.

Careful, the sitemap applies a general pattern: a "resource" is mapped
to a "resource identifier". That's it. Every resource needs some
instructions on how to generate the response based on the protocol
request + chaining the right components with the right parameters.

So, the sitemap allows you to map these instructions to a resource
location to give a meaning to the resource.

It does not state a method to apply your stylesheet based on file system
location of the document. Not at all. The sitemap is much more general
than that.

On the other hand, this is one possible way to do the mapping between
files and stylesheets (like dictated by the <?xsl-stylesheet?> spec),
but there are others... like you said, DTD reaction or namespace
reaction.

The simemap is working on partioning the URI space in areas where
resources "have the same treatment". That's it. What is this treatment
and how this performes has been proposed and I'm sure it's not complete
at all, but it's a way to map existing behavior in a more structured and
centralized manner.

> What about iterative translation?

We are trying to avoid this due to even based APIs. Each URI area will
have a fixed chain created at startup... request-time re-piping is, IMO,
a bad idea. (mostly like code autorecompilation)

> If you have a sitemap specified so that
> the source XML file is the end result of cocoon translation, is cocoon able
> to handle it?

I don't get it, sorry.

> What happens if someone goofs up and makes an endless
> recursion?

This won't happen in the sitemap, but today it may happen with PI. This
is a "feature" of the sitemap.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.