cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Competition to Cocoon from Microsoft ?
Date Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:40:09 GMT
Philippe Lavoie wrote:
> Hi,
> My company uses Microsoft heavilly. They love what I'm doing with Cocoon
> right now. However
> they want me to assure them that there is no Microsoft alternative.
> I've looked at the msdn site and I was able to find a lot of stuff about XML
> but nothing
> that ressembles a publishing engine.
> I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of something offered by Microsoft
> that
> ressembles Cocoon (closely or loosely). Actually, I'd be more interested to
> know
> that I was right and that Cocoon is just way ahead of Microsoft on that one
> :)
> Phil
> PS I know a similar question was asked before, but the focus wasn't on
> Microsoft
> and in 3 months, things change a lot in this industry.

The closest Cocoon competitors are Oracle Portal-to-go and ObjectDesign
Excelon, mostly because they use XML + XSL to create web content. I
breafly evaluated the Excelon and when I went at Oracle in Sweden where
they showed me their software.

Well, I you know I'm probably the most biased around here, but I don't
see a real competitor for what we have today.

True, there are applications with another focus (mostly e-commerce or
e-business based) and some of them are WAP focused (Oracle's) but we cut
down the marketing crap and do things that do what you need.

This is rarely the case with commercial software...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.