cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sitemap and Links...
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:39:53 GMT
"Stephen R. Savitzky" wrote:

> This might be a good point at which to mention the way the PIA (see our
> website at http://RiSource.org/PIA/) does site mapping.  There are several
> significant differences between our site-mapping framework and the one
> proposed for Cocoon:
>
>  1. There is a map element for each directory in URL-space, which either
>     comes from a file in the directory itself, or is inherited from the
>     parent directory.  Hence, the site map scales naturally with the size of
>     the site, and there is no need to load descriptions for directories
>     until they are accessed.

I see no problems in adding something like this. In fact, it follows the
.htaccess pattern in apache.

what do you guys think?

The problem, though, goes again to XML Inheritance: how do we
include/merge/import those files in the original sitemap?

>  2. The map file can specify multiple directories which are effectively
>     overlaid, and can specify resources elsewhere in the filesystem:
>
>     <site:Container name="foo" virtual="/home/pia/foo">
>         <!-- specifies /home/pia/foo as a virtual overlay -->
>
>         <site:Resource name="passwords.txt" virtual="/etc/passwd"/>
>         <!-- if a `real' passwords.txt exists, it overrides the virtual
>              file. -->
>
>         <site:Container name="bar" real="/home/bar/htdocs/>
>         <!-- effectively specifies a symbolic link. -->
>
>     </site:Container>

?? I don't get this.

>  3. There are no wildcards: resources are either described by full name or
>     by extension:
>
>     <site:Container name="zorch">
>         <site:Resource name="foo.xhtml" type="text/html" tagset="frob.ts"/>
>         <site:Ext name="html" type="text/html" />
>         <site:Ext name="xhtml" type="text/html" tagset="default.ts" />
>         <site:Ext name="xml" type="application/xml" hidden="yes" />
>     </site:Container>

No, we need more power than that.

>  4. Most importantly, URL's passed to the server are not required to have an
>     extension.  Extensions are tried in the order specified in the map.  So
>     in the example above,
>
>         .../zorch/bar would map into bar.html (with no processing) if it
>         exists, otherwise bar.xhtml (processed with default.ts).  Even if
>         bar.xml exists, it's hidden from the client and can only be accessed
>         internally.  .../zorch/foo maps into foo.xhtml and gets special
>         processing.

This is a very interesting point. Reading Tim Berners Lee paper about
"good URIs don't change", it would be IMO very significant to
"slightly-suggest" something like this: read, never use file extentions
to mean something

What do you think?

>  5. Elements without a namespace prefix become "properties" that are
>     accessible via a NamedNodeMap while documents are being processed.
>     Inside of documents they're accessible as predefined external entities.

Hmmm, I'm not sure.. can you give us a real example?

> It mighX-Mozilla-Status: 0009ooking at the W3C's RDF (Resource Description
> Framework), and the IETF's WebDAV framework.  Our scheme is vaguely based on
> ideas from a combination of these.

I admittedly skipped most of RDF (too complex), but I know most of
WebDAV. The second is very handy but it's designed to be orthogonal to
existing URI spaces so it doesn't help that much, IMO.

I'll go over RDF again....

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.