cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Thoughts...
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:10:42 GMT
Ross Burton wrote:

> > > 1) Cocoon needs more output formats: plain text, RTF and TIFF/PNG would
> be
> > > very nice.  Then Cocoon can output most useful formats: XML, HTML, PDF,
> RTF,
> > > raw text and images.
>
> > Ummm... I say this as nicely as possible, so as not to offend... are you
> > sure you are up on what XSL/T does?  Cocoon is limited in its output
> > formats only by how well you can transform the XML you give it.
> > Certainly some binary data such as PDF relies on additional programs,
> > but if it can be represented by hand, it can be transformed to that
> > representation.  Now if you are talking about writing additional
> > formatting-objects... go for it, but that's way beyond our scope here...
>
> I was thinking of XSL:FO to RTF mainly, implemented as a Formatter in a
> similar manner to FOP.

Others have expressed this intention in the FOP mail list but nobody has
done it. This is not something that Cocoon should go over, IMO.

> I really would like RTF creation, that way a document can be produced which
> MS Word will open easily, fully formatted.  HTML is not a sensible solution.

I agree but this is different enough to belong there.

As for images, Pier and I proposed the NRG language for raster image
creation and Pier implemented it into StylebX-Mozilla-Status: 0009s
currently thinking of incorporating it into its codebase, so we might
end up using FOP for that also.

But it's too early to tell, but I want image generation, that's for
sure.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.