cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Doug Serres" <dser...@kingston.hummingbird.com>
Subject Cocoon 1.5 distribution and Tomcat
Date Mon, 10 Jan 2000 21:59:58 GMT
Can someone help me out with this?

I set up tomcat and put cocoon in it (following the installation instructions at
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/install.html). So I have a directory structure with a
cocoon directory under the tomcat root. I copied the jars to the tomcat/lib directory
and modified the tomcat.bat file to include them in my classpath. I added this to my
server.xml file in the tomcat root directory

     <Context path="/cocoon" docBase="cocoon"
     defaultSessionTimeOut="30" isWARExpanded="true"
     isWARValidated="false" isInvokerEnabled="true"
     isWorkDirPersistent="false"/>

now I try this URL http://dserres:8080/cocoon/example/hello/hello.xml
and I get this message.

Cocoon 1.5
                        Error found handling the request.

      java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\tomcat\cocoon\org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon (The system
cannot find the file specified)
              at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:68)
              at java.io.FileInputStream.(FileInputStream.java:99)
              at org.apache.cocoon.producer.FileProducer.getStream(FileProducer.java:77)
              at org.apache.cocoon.producer.AbstractProducer.getDocument(AbstractProducer.java:81)
              at org.apache.cocoon.Engine.handle(Engine.java, Compiled Code)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServiceInvocationHandler.method(ServletWrapper.java:626)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleInvocation(ServletWrapper.java,
Compiled Code)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:378)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.Context.handleRequest(Context.java:644)
              at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:440)
              at org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:144)
              at org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(TcpEndpoint.java:304)
              at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

 Warning: this page has been dynamically generated.

Now I've been told that, "... one possibility is that the servlet itself is not
really compatible with the 2.2 specification." The writer of this comment went on to
say that he saw something similar, "... with several servlets including ones from
GNU.  They typically use GetResource() or GetResourceAsStream() which is good in
principal but doesn't work the same way under 2.2 and it did under 2.1.  Paths like
"cocoon/cocoon" are a symptom of this.  Servlets that use getServletPath() and
getRealPath() seem to survive the transition better, even though those are "cruder"
APIs (e.g. assume everything is a file in a directory)."

Could this be the same issue? Is there something I'm missing in my set up?
(Probably!)

-- Thanks

Doug Serres, Intermediate Developer - R&D
Data Integration & Reporting Solutions,
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.
(http://www.hummingbird.com)
-----
The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to
deal with, but whether it's the same problem you had last year.
--John Foster Dulles (http://www.franklincovey.com/specials/quote.html)